Crypto Virus 3.0 Continues to Infect Computers & Encrypt Files!
Crypto Virus 3.0 is a dangerous, updated version of the ransomware virus that is infecting and damaging computers everywhere. Like Crypto 2.0, the bug encrypts your files and data and then demands a ransom of $500 in Bitcoins to get your information back. Unfortunately, those who have been affected know that it’s no simple warning or a joke – your files really do get encrypted. How do you know what to look out for?
- Cybercriminals have been attaching the ransomware to customer support emails from FedEx, UPS, DHS and other companies. Once the attachment is opened, your computer is infected.
- It can also come in the form of a bogus eFax email – if you don’t have an eFax, delete the emails right away. They’re fakes!
- Exploit kits located on hacked websites are used to exploit security vulnerabilities on your computer and then get your system infected.
- They’re also sent out using Trojans disguised as programs that require you to view online videos.
A good golden rule is to NEVER open any attachments unless you’re 100% sure that they’re safe. If you receive a suspicious message, delete it from your computer immediately.
If You Become Infected
- The virus scans your computer for documents, pictures and other commonly used files – it immediately encrypts them and hides the key.
- Currently the only known solution is to restore your files that have been backed up.
How Can You Prevent It?
- Educate your employees and coworkers! Ensure that they know proper email safety protocols and are always mindful of the risks they face.
- Make sure you have the latest updated antivirus software and spam filters.
- The best bet is to always take precautions and back up your data so that a system breach won’t leave your business crippled.
To learn more about the security threats facing your business, contact LAN Infotech.
Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or reach out by phone at (954) 717-1990.
LAN Infotech is a Microsoft Cloud Services Provider, IT Managed Support company and a leader in helping law firms, nonprofits and medical organizations deploy cloud solutions, manage computer networks, keep data protected and top technology management company. Businesses like yours need technology support to run highly-effective organizations.